Biotechnology is the use of a living thing or any part of a living thing to make a product or process that improves human life. Watch this video for help with completing the assignment.
- Choose 1 of the following biotechnology applications:
- Utilize at least 2 credible sources to support the arguments presented in the paper. Make sure that you cite them appropriately within your paper, and list the references in APA format on your Reference page.
- Refer to your assigned textbook Concepts in Biology, Chapter 10: Biotechnology for details on the topic you select.
- Formatting guidelines: In accordance with APA formatting requirements, your paper should include Title and Reference pages; should be double-spaced; and should include a running head and page numbers. Your paper should be 2–3 pages in length, not counting the Title page, and Reference page.
This assignment will also be assessed using additional criteria.
Unit 3 IP In Vitro Fertilization
1. Explain the use of in vitro fertilization, and describe at least 1 benefit and 1 drawback of the
2. Describe the steps of in vitro fertilization.
3. The success rate of in vitro fertilization for women over 40 is only about 11% (Gracia, 2018). In
addition, 75% of women attempting pregnancy through in vitro fertilization at many centers are
over 40 (CHR, 2020). Describe at least one psychological, cultural or social factor that could
influence an individual’s decision to try in vitro to conceive.
4. The graph below shows the percentage of live births for women in various age-groups. For each
age-group, you can see the percentage of live births broken out by whether the embryos were
fresh or frozen and whether the eggs came from the woman herself or a donor.
Address the following using only the data shown below:
a. What advice would you give a woman (regardless of her age) who wants to have a child
regarding the use of fresh embryos from donor eggs, and why?
b. Explain why it would or would not make sense for a 30-year-old woman to choose a
frozen embryo from a donor.
c. Would you make the same argument for a 44-year-old woman? Explain your rationale.
Rate of Success for in Vitro Fertilization Resulting in the Birth of a Baby
(Adapted from CDC, 2017)
Please see assignment details for deliverable and formatting guidelines.
<35 35–37 38–40 41–42 43–44 >44
Woman’s Age (years)
Effect of Egg Source on Success of in vitro
Fresh Embryos from Own Eggs Frozen Embryos from Own Eggs
Fresh Embryos from Donor Eggs Frozen Embryos from Donor Eggs
Center for Human Reproduction (CHR). (2020, May 4). IVF success rates by age, over 40.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2017). 2015 assisted reproductive technology:
National summary report. https://www.cdc.gov/art/pdf/2015-report/ART-2015-National-
Gracia, C. R. (2018). Final clinic summary report for 2018. Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology